Addiction Support Groups in New York
New York is large and arguably America’s most exciting city. The fast-paced hustle and bustle feel out of control, especially for a recovering addict. During and after detox, you will need a personalized addiction recovery support to grow and remain sober.
Addicts struggle with a bundle of emotions and unanswered questions on the road to recovery. While these questions and emotions are normal, they can be overwhelming. Talking about them and learning from people who have gone through a similar experience is very helpful.
Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) originally proposed 12-Step meetings. The majority of addiction treatment centers now utilize this type of support group and treatment philosophy. The model is based on the principles that people can help one another achieve and maintain abstinence from substances, and that healing only comes when struggling addicts surrender to a higher power.
Twelve-step meetings are organized around autonomous local groups. Recovering addicts meet regularly to support each other and share their stories. Enrollees remain anonymous by using first names only when interacting in group meetings.
Most meetings are free, non-profit, and open to anyone dealing with a particular addiction. For example, AA meetings are open to alcoholics with a desire to stop drinking while Narcotics Anonymous provides support for recovering drug addicts. Other support systems include Overeaters Anonymous and Gamblers Anonymous.
In summary, the focus of participants in the twelve-step program revolves around:
- Admitting that they cannot control their alcoholism or addiction.
- Surrendering to a higher power that can give strength.
- Examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (a more experienced person in recovery).
- Making amends for these past errors and finding closure or absolution.
- Learning to live with a new code of behavior.
- Helping new inexperienced persons who struggle with alcoholism or addictions.
While it is largely successful and helpful for many recovering addicts, the religious semblance of the model makes it controversial. Many addiction treatment programs offer alternatives to 12-Step meetings. Popular alternatives for a more secular treatment foundation include:
- SMART Recovery: SMART Recovery is a self-help support group for individuals who wish to remain free from drugs, alcohol, and addiction. It involves face-to-face meetings, daily online meetings, a 24/7 chat room, and an online message board. The research-based program provides tools that help replace negative thoughts and emotions to enhance recovery from addiction. Anyone who struggles with any kind of addiction is free to attend the meetings. SMART Recovery follows a 4-Point Program. These points are:
- Getting and maintaining motivation.
- Learning to manage urges.
- Handling emotions, thoughts, and behaviors.
- Finding and striking a balance in life.
- Group counseling or therapy: Group counseling is a form of psychotherapy in which one or more therapists treat a small number of clients together as a group. Normally, therapy involves talking, but a group therapy in an institutional setting can offer group-based expressive therapies such as drama therapy, psychodrama, art therapy, and non-verbal types of therapy such as music therapy and dance/movement therapy.
Finding Addiction Support Groups in New York
A support group is invaluable in substance addiction treatment. Are you interested in finding a 12 Step program or an alternative to help stay sober? Mid Hudson Addiction Recovery will connect you with the much-needed help. Within our addiction support groups across New York, you will meet with like-minded folks who have surmounted the challenges of addiction. You will access the positive energy and moral support of these individuals to ease your journey towards long-term recovery. We will be glad to help in every way possible. Call our helpline today.
Addiction Resources for New York
Residents of New York searching for addiction help now have plenty of resources to fight substance abuse. Our team of professionals is here to guide and support you during this difficult time. We work with a variety of Hudson Valley addiction treatment programs personalized to fit your needs:
Heroin Detox in New York
Alcohol Detox in New York
Alcohol Rehab in New York
Drug Detox in New York
Crack Cocaine Rehab in New York
Xanax Rehab in New New York
Xanax Detox in New New York
Fentanyl Detox in New York